Vehicle Licensing


In Alberta all vehicles being operated or parked on public roads or property must be registered and insured. The law even includes off-road vehicles such as snowmobiles and dirt bikes.


Registration Renewal
If your car was previously registered in Alberta you will receive a renewal notice by mail prior to the expiry date. When you come in to renew your registration you will be asked for proof of insurance. If your car is currently insured your “pink slip” will do. If you do not have your pink slip with you your insurance agent can fax over a copy to (780) 463-8721.

First-time Registration of your Car
If you buy a car that was previously registered in Alberta , (not a brand new car), you must register it under your name. The cost will be pro-rated to correspond with your expiry date. You will be asked for 3 documents: the Bill of Sale ( we can supply with a Bill of Sale form free of charge) or lease documents, your proof of insurance (pink slip) and your identification. Generally your Driver’s License will be sufficient identification to prove that you are the person on the Bill of Sale.

If we find that the vehicle was previously “written-off” by an insurance company and has that status on the system you’ll need to have it inspected by an authorized mechanic before registration can be completed.

Clients have the option to purchase a CARPROOF report to find out in depth details of your vehicle prior to registration.  You can come into our Registry office to purchase this product.

A person under 18 years old must have parental consent to register a vehicle in their name.

If a vehicle is being registered jointly all parties should be named on the Bill of Sale and all parties should be present. If this is not possible the absent parties must sign an authorization letter that gives their consent to be included on the registration. You can register a vehicle for another person. This requires that the person named on the Bill of Sale must sign an authorization letter stating that you can register the vehicle on their behalf. Authorization letters can be faxed to (780) 463-8721.

New Vehicle Registration
If you are registering a brand new vehicle that has never been registered before you will be asked for the 3 documents described above plus the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS). The auto dealership will provide you with the NVIS when you buy a new car. In this case a fax is not acceptable. You must bring in the original document and it will be retained by us.

In-Transit Permit
This permit allows you 3 days to drive an insured vehicle from one location to another. If you are moving the vehicle within Alberta you must present your pink slip. If you are taking the vehicle in or out of Alberta you must also provide a Bill of Sale.

Registration of Out-of-Province Vehicles
Since January 1, 1997 all vehicles that were last registered outside of Alberta must be inspected by an authorized mechanic before being registered within our province. First bring us your Bill of Sale. We’ll do a search on the vehicle to find out its previous status. Depending on that status you will be required to either have a Safety Inspection or a Written-Off Vehicle Inspection done. We can provide you with a Request for Inspection form. We also have a list of some of the authorized mechanics available. After the inspection is completed you must return the form to us within 14 days. Then the vehicle will be registered and the record from the previous province closed out.

Antique Car/Truck or Motorcycle Registration
If your vehicle is 25 years old or more you can register it as an antique. With this registration you can use your antique in exhibitions and club meets and also going to and from those events. You can also drive it to and from a service station for maintenance. You may only drive it in daylight hours unless the vehicle has been upgraded with lights that meet current safety requirements. You cannot use it for general transportation unless it is also registered as a regular vehicle (dual registration). To register your antique vehicle you will also be asked for the documents required in registering a regular vehicle.

PRICE LIST – GST included

Carproof Vehicle Report – $57.75

Passenger Car or Truck Registration
Expiry month depends on the 1st two letters of your name. – $84.45

Transfer of Registration from One Vehicle to Another
Likewise anything that requires a new registration to be printed, such as the replacement of a lost plate or decal will be charged this fee. – $22.45

In-Transit Permit
This permit is good for 3 days and allows you to transport an insured vehicle without full registration. – $24.45

Off-Highway Vehicle or Motorcycle Registration
Expiry date depends on the 1st two letters of your name. – $54.45

Trailer Registration
This is a one-time fee as trailer registration is permanent. – $109.45

Antique Car, Truck or Motorcycle Registration
This is a one-time fee as registration is permanent. – $39.45

Vanity or Personalized Plates
These plates have a 7 character limit, including spaces. The wording must be unique and will have to be searched. Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. – $225.75

Out-of-Province Vehicle Inspection form – $9.45

Licensing Information Copyright Alberta Municipal Affairs These pages are provided for information only and are not intended to be used as authoritative legal advice. While intended to be accurate, All Licenses Ltd. does not guarantee the quality, accuracy or completeness of any information on our web pages. All information is provided “as is” without warranty or condition of any kind.